Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Outer Banks '09

Sadly, we're back from our annual Seward/Allison/Gallahan beach week. And I can't believe it--but it was actually relaxing. Amazing, I know.

Here's why: the boys are old enough to entertain themselves better than in past years...the weather was cooler (great for being on the beach, not superb for swimming--unless you are Super-Will, who is not easily affected by cold temps)...the beach was pretty empty...Colin & I escaped for a movie one night & dinner the next...lots of good food (that I wasn't responsible for cooking!)...Bad Bean burrito night...a visit to the Gap outlet...mini-golf & DQ...paperbacks & People magazine...watching my dad, husband, & bro-in-law battle on the Wii...Will's remarkable skill at skateboarding, "surfing," and big boy bike-riding...hang-out time with family...getting to see my friends Kerri & Corinne (also vacationing that week)--it was probably our best vacation post-kids. Despite the poison ivy that covered my body (and I complained about nonstop).

So we're home, and yesterday we already managed two dr. appointments (the aforementioned poison ivy & a suspected ear infection for Thomas) and a much-needed Costco run. According to Will's school note, "he isn't being a good listener," so I assume he's missing the sand and surf (and ice cream truck...and candy supply...) as well.

Here's the evidence of our fun-filled week:




Will was the happiest I'd seen him in awhile--he's definitely a beach bum.


Flying Carson
My brother was able to come down from VA Beach and stay a day...The kids LOVE him...
Cousins--next year we'll finally have a girl around! (That would be my sister's offspring, not mine.)


Ice cream truck time


I couldn't get a decent picture of Thomas--I thought he was enjoying himself, but looking back...maybe not :)

They actually played like this for awhile. Until Thomas started biting Will's hand and Will dumped shovels of sand on little bro's head. True brotherly love.

Can you tell he was happy to be there?!

Finally! A smile from Thomas. Mini-golf seems to be a family activity we all enjoy, so we played on a cooler day.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Hey LIbby! I'm so glad y'all had a wonderful vacation. I think we had our best post-kids vacation this year too! I'll try to post some new pics soon on our blog since it has been 2 months. So glad y'all are doing well!

Team Drew said...

Your boys are precious, Libby! And no cooking for a week? Who did all of the cooking?